|Released||15 May 2014|
|Written by|| Joseph Fink|
|Narrated by|| Kevin R. Free|
|Produced by||Commonplace Books|
|The Weather||"Stupid" by Brendan MacLean|
Snow is falling somewhere. Many things are falling, or will fall, or have fallen, but temporary triumph is still triumph. Welcome to the Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area.
"Company Picnic" is the 47th episode of Welcome to Night Vale (or rather, Welcome to the Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area). It was released on 15 May 2014.
Good news for the Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area: StrexCorp is hosting its first ever Company Picnic. It is a fun, cheerful, mandatory event. Plus, an update on the trouble-making scientists, the election we cannot stop, and praise to a Smiling God.
Plot Developments Edit
- StrexCorp: Kevin and Lauren Mallard take over the Night Vale broadcast, spreading general praise, cheer, and propaganda, as well as denying there was ever another host of Night Vale Community Radio. StrexCorp's takeover of Night Vale appears complete, having acquired ownership of every home and business in town, and having made the town now a part of "The Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area".
- Old Oak Doors: Lauren announces the doors have all gone.
- Cecil: After apparently getting attacked in the previous episode, Cecil is nowhere to be heard.
- Carlos and the scientists: The scientists are arrested for trespassing on The House That Doesn't Exist, but Carlos is noticeably absent from the group, much to Lauren's frustration.
- Mayoral Election: The Faceless Old Woman and Hiram McDaniels both (supposedly) issue a statement through Strex, stating, "We couldn’t care less who wins. The important thing is that Night Vale is well-served in its relationship with the Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area business community! This is the key to economic prosperity, and a future that is in harmony with a Smiling God."
- Company Picnic: Held in Mission Grove Park, attendance is mandatory for all citizens of Night Vale. Those who do not attend will be made to wear special "party pooper" hats, which are very large and made of stone. The picnic has cupcakes. Attendees are forced to work, until all the work is done, the picnic will not end. The picnic will presumably never end. It is also surrounded by heavily electrified volleyball nets.
- Sales: The boys in Sales, who are all named Shawn, have helped Kevin to redecorate the broadcast studio to make it more like his Desert Bluffs one. The exact nature of the Shawns' contribution is not specified, but the phrases "running down the walls" and "they will be missed" are used.
- Given his other studio was covered in blood...
There's a difference between you're, your, and yarn. Yarn isn't even pronounced the same way. It's a completely different word.
- The voice of Lauren Mallard was Lauren Sharpe.
- The voice of Kevin was Kevin R. Free.
- "This is Meg Bashwiner, the voice of the credits."